Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Goodbye Old Baldy





Goodbye Old Baldy, I’m a leavin’ you now

It’s here. Thirteen months of applications, references, medical tests, packing, repacking, checking things off lists, and closing up the house have now come down to a final day in Arizona. Of course we’re looking forward to meeting Bulgaria but this is a day for looking backwards as well as towards the future.

It’s time to say goodbye to the javelinas, bobcats, and roadrunners that come to our yard. We’ll miss the cardinals and the oriole that sing in the trees and the quail that nests in our flowerpot. Now we’re leaving, just as the summer rains bring Mexican poppies into bloom and saguaro cactus into full fruit. Of course we’ll be back in 27 months but it’s been nice to enjoy one more full moon on the mountains and once again watch the fury of a desert lightning storm stretched out from horizon to horizon. Our xeric desert landscape has turned a wonderful green.

I just finished my last hike to the summit of Old Baldy. Its 9400’ elevation gives me a panoramic view for 60 miles or more. I’ve climbed that mountain four times this year and 103 times since 2002. By now I know every inch of the eleven mile trail, up and down. I know the bears, rabbits, and squirrels who greet my early morning hikes when I’m usually the first one on the mountain. This week I saw a mother bruin out showing her cub where to find the good grubs and berries. “Hello, Mrs. Bear. That’s a mighty handsome youngster you have.” “Woof,” she said in return.

Tuesday I replaced my old hiking boots and packed a new pair of Lowas for Bulgaria. It’s hard to put aside an old pair of boots. They’re like a comfortable friend. This is now the second pair I’ve retired in my 7 ½ years of hiking 4,000 miles on rocky Arizona trails.

We’re leaving our beloved desert behind. We’re leaving our many furred and feathered acquaintances. But we’re not leaving our friends and family. We’re taking you along! Stay tuned and see what happens next.

Richard & Shirley


What a large volume of adventures
may be grasped within this little span of life
by him who interests his heart in everything.

Lawrence Sterne, A Sentimental Journey

No comments: